Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Gamer Girl: Part II

Playing video games is one of my favorite hobbies ever since I was a young girl. The first video game I console I played was the Super Nintendo, and my favorite game at the time was Super Mario World -- which I absolutely loved! I remember Yoshi hatching from his egg, and I made my character Mario climb onto his back...then we'd go to Iggy Koopa's castle, and jump on his head! Despite the fact that the graphics were 2Dish at the time, it was a great game; I used to buy lots of video game magazines, which would give readers tips on how to play the games and win. I had the following games for the Super Nintendo:

  • Super Mario World
  • Star Fox
  • Paper Boy 2
  • Joe and Mac
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Mario is Missing
  • Mario Paint
  • Spiderman and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge
  • F-Zero

I may have had some more, but those are the main ones that I remember; I'd go to Blockbuster and would rent games to play on the console. Then along came the PlayStation. I bought Final Fantasy VIII, Sim City, and Darkstalkers. I loved the graphics in Final Fantasy VIII where you play different characters such as Squall, Rinoa, Zell, and Selphie. The FMVs (full motion videos) were stunning; now I mostly do my gaming on the PC -- just much more convenient for me. Sometimes I play Michael Jackson: the Experience on the Wii...but that's purely for dancing and exercise (for me, that is). I've got so many games on the PC, it would be too many to name here. My favorites would be the following:

  • Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time
  • Jade Empire
  • Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3

Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time got me interested in three things -- East Indian entertainment (Bollywood) and culture thanks to the character Farah, Arab entertainment (I made a mistake and thought that the Persian Prince was Arab at the time), and the software program Alias Maya. SoT (Sands of Time) had lovely graphics. Check out the trailer for SoT below.



Jade Empire Trailer



Mass Effect



And my favorite: Mass Effect 3 (FemShep trailer)



At the moment, I'm playing L.A. Noire, which is a detective game set in 1940's Los Angeles. It puts you in the shoes of Cole Phelps, a rising private eye, who has to investigate grisly murders, car thefts, and drug trafficking cases. I love this game; the only thing that I don't like is having to choose whether a suspect/witness is lying or telling the truth during investigations. From what I've been told (and from what I've read on sites like IGN.com), you have to look at a person's face to be able to tell which choice to choose: truth, doubt, or lie. Also, I love the face motion that was put into this game. The characters' faces move so realistically. It's like watching a movie.

I started back playing Mass Effect 2 just to see how things would be different now that I have some of the DLCs (Kasumi Goto and Zaeed Massani). I lost some crew members -- Gabriella Daniels and Kelly Chambers to be exact. They died in ME2, so they aren't present in ME3. I'm considering replaying the last two games just to keep those two alive. I'm not really sure if I'm going to do all of this, however. I don't care much for Mass Effect 2 like I do for Mass Effect 3; it may be because most of the original crew members from the first game aren't present in the second game.


No comments:

Post a Comment